Health and wellness is overlooked by many. In the United States we spend more money on “healthcare” than any other country. Not only are we spending more on healthcare than any other country, even though we are the most medicated, our health is rated the lowest of all developed countries. On top of that Dr. Joseph Mercola reports doctors are the THIRD leading cause of death in the U.S. causing 250,000 deaths every year, and that’s just the reported deaths.
Healthcare in the US is really what one needs to be calling “sickcare”. Most Americans wait til they are sick, have symptoms, illness and disease. The medical system educates the public that if you feel well you are well, but if you have something wrong lets put you on more medications. These medications at best just cover up symptoms, but lead to a handful of dangerous and even life threatening side effects. This leads to a vicious cycle of taking one medication on top of another.
Here is an example: Do you have high cholesterol? Ok, you go to your medical doctor who puts you on a statin drug which might lower the cholesterol but there are over 900 studies proving their adverse effects, which run the gamut from muscle problems, immune depression, anemia, memory loss, liver dysfunction, to diabetes, increased risk of cancer and causing serious birth defects. So your high cholesterol is covered up, but you start having some of these other illnesses and diseases… go back to the doctor and they start prescribing more drugs to cover them up, but cause more side effects.
We can do examples like this for almost everything: high blood pressure, diabetes, headaches, aches and pains, obesity (which many opt for harmful and dangerous surgeries which lead to more health conditions). Our current system will just medicate you for those conditions or suggest surgery, not taking into account the side effects and how it will affect your lifestyle and well being. This is not only a sick care system leading to a country of poor health, but a very expensive system to keep running on this track.
There is a true health care model one can follow and it is what chiropractors have been educating the public about for over 100 years! There is no secret or pill to being health. It is all about lifestyle and following 5 necessary steps, everybody can be more healthy naturally, limiting the use of unnecessary, dangerous, and expensive medications and surgery.
Being healthy is quite simple by following 5 important pillars of health. You can maintain optimal health and wellness without drugs and surgery if you make these a priority in your life:
1) Nutrition – There is a lot of truth to the saying “You are what you eat!” The United States has the worst eating habits including fast food, large portions, refined carbs, processed foods. Your body is a high performance machine that needs top quality nutrition for energy and healing. By eating a well balanced diet, you will have more energy, you will sleep better, muscles, tissues and orgrans can heal better, and healthy weight can be maintained. Obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels in the United States due to the eating habits. What happens to your car if you put in low grade fuel – fuel efficiency drops, engine makes noises, and the costs to maintain and fix it skyrocket. Your body needs high quality fuel and deserves it to be healthy!
Another important aspect of nutrition is drinking plenty of water. Around 80% of the population is dehydrated. Thirst is not a good guide to tell you if you are dehydrated. Coffee, tea and sodas do not equate to water for hydration. In fact, caffeine dehydrates your body and some research shows just one cup of coffee pulls out up to 8 glasses of water from your body.
Two-thirds of your body is comprised of water! You require water to be healthy. In the past doctors told you to drink 8 glasses of water, but somebody who is 100lbs doesn’t need the same amount of water who is 200lbs. The correct recommendation is half of your body weight in ounces of water, so if you weigh 150lbs you need to drink 75 ounces of water. Remember though if you are consuming any caffeine products, they are actually remove water from your body. If you start increasing your water intake to these levels, in over a week you may notice that you have more energy, improved mental clarity, your skin is healthier, and your food digests easier.
2) Sleep – Your body needs quality sleep. During the day your body is under a lot of stress and even the cellular level everything becomes fatigued. Sleep is needed to help the body to rejuvenate and the cells to repair. Your mind, organs and muscles relax and heal.
Just like too little sleep is bad for you, the same goes for too much sleep. Everybody needs different amounts of sleep, and if you are under stress you might need more than usual. Here is a great article called “How Much Sleep Do We Really Need?”: http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need
3) Mental Well Being – Positive mental attitude is so important to health. Negative thoughts and stress are a major contributor to poor health. Over 60% of health conditions are related to negativity and stress. By reducing stress and being positive, your health will drastically improve.
4) Exercise and keeping the body moving is important for many reasons. “Use it or lose it!” Simply walking 20 to 30 minutes a day improves your overall health. I do recommend patients stretch to reduce stress to the muscles and joints. Resistance training with weights and machines helps tone the body, improve metabolism to burn calories, and increase blood flow and oxygen. Other benefits of exercise include strengthening your heart, keeping the joints moving, improve self confidence and reduce stress.
5) An Optimally functioning nervous system is the most important of all as without this the previous 4 pillars will be limited in your health benefits. A healthy spine and nervous system is paramount to you being healthy without drugs and surgery.
Your nervous system controls all functions of your body. As you are reading this, your heart is beating, your lungs are breathing, your stomach is digesting all without you having to think about it. You brain is sending messages down your spinal cord and at every level of the spine through nerves that go to ever last organ, tissue, muscle and cell of your body. Your body can function as close to 100% as possible as long as there is no interference to these messages.
Unfortunately, from the time you are born through the rest of your life, you are subjected to physical, mental and chemical stresses that cause the bones (the vertebra) that protect the spinal cord to move out of place and put pressure on the nerves. Just the slightest pressure on the nerve can decrease the messages, decreasing function and eventually result in disease and symptoms.
Most people know when they get numbness and tingling in the hands or feet it is most likely due to a pinched nerve in the neck or low back. Now imagine what happens in the upper back if the nerves that go to your heart, lungs or stomach are pinched. Do you think your heart will work at 100% if only 90% of the nerve flow is getting to it? More importantly, you wouldn’t even have symptoms until more than 30% impingement occurs. This is why it is so important to have your spine and nervous system checked. Chiropractors are the only health professionals that analyze, detect and correct these misalignments or subluxations that interfere with your nerve flow.
If your nervous system is not working properly, the benefits of your exercise, the nutrition you take in, your mental well being, and your sleep will be minimized. Chiropractic helps improve the functioning of your nervous system and therefore maximizes the other 4 pillars of health and allows you to live a more health, active lifestyle without drugs and surger.
There is a place for drugs and surgery, but they are a last resort and do not bring you health or wellness. Making the 5 steps above a part of your lifestyle will help you and anybody you know improve your health naturally. It’s what you, your family, and Americans deserve as a real healthcare system!
Dr. Russell Brokstein is founder of Hometown Family Wellness Center in Freehold NJ. He has specialized in family health for over 14 years and has a unique approach to getting results with his patients that other health practitioners have failed with. He is a Chiropractor and Wellness consultant that enjoys educating society about obtaining optimal health and wellness without the use of drugs or surgery. Visit my website http://ChiropractorFreehold.com for more health information or http://chiropractorinfreehold.com/ to view our videos and reports on the secrets to relieving back pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia, headaches, sciatica, losing weight, anti-aging, stress relief and much more.