By Suzie Doscher —
People say, “You have power, or take your power back!” What are they talking about?
The strength composed of:
- Knowing who you are
- Being comfortable with yourself
- Knowing what is right and wrong, a Code of Ethics
- Being honest and trustworthy
- Living your life from a place of integrity
- Being comfortable with your choices
- Knowing what you want, being at ease with finding your way forward
- Knowing your weaknesses and your strengths
- Open hearted
- Taking responsibility
- Being dependable
Personal power is an inner strength that often you do not know you have until needed. Personal Power is acquired while growing up, making mistakes, learning from mistakes, making better choices. All of this contributes to personal growth and development mastering one self, not others.
After giving your power away to others often enough and putting yourself in a weak spot you eventually learn how to make better choices, this is all part of life and its lessons.
Here are a few examples of times when you have your power:
- You have your power when you have realised and accepted that you always have a choice. At any given moment you always have at least two choices: To do or not to do, to go or not to go, to say or not to say, to react or not to react. In other words you can react in the moment and most probably regret it, or choose not to react, give it some time and act on it a little later, or even the next day.
- You have your power when you take responsibility for your actions. Regardless of whether the consequences of your actions were good or bad, you take responsibility for them. “What did I do, or not do, to help create this situation?”
- You have your power when your behaviour allows you to ‘sleep at night.’ You are not betraying yourself with the decisions you make or the actions you take.
- You have your power when you are not living according to other people’s standards or beliefs, but to your own. Whilst others have influence over you, you are allowing the volume of your power to be turned down.
- You have your power when you allow yourself to hear what your heart & soul have to say and you are not listening only to your mind. When something ‘feels’ wrong chances are it would be good to stop and ask your heart for an answer (remember that ‘gut feeling’ it is best not to ignore it.)
- You have your power when you are not playing the ‘blame game.’ Asking yourself what you can do differently next time when something went wrong, instead of concentrating on blaming something or someone, ask yourself what you can do differently next time.
- You have your power when you remember a thought only has power to the extent that you believe it to be true. If you do not believe something, it does not have any power. Beliefs that limit your actions are referred to as ‘limiting beliefs’ or ‘disempowering beliefs’. These are the thoughts that we treat as if they were facts, with this you give that thought your power and thereby limit yourself.
- You have your power when you are not reacting or behaving in a manner motivated by your fears. For example, this could mean you choose to stay quiet rather than express yourself out of fear. The other person might get angry or upset, even though you know they are in the wrong. Instead this would result in upsetting you. This is not fair on you and causes you to give away your power.
- You have your power when you live in alignment with your personal values. Living with respect for yourself, being true to yourself and what is important to you.
With your personal power in tact you can solve problems and achieve the results you want. If things do not go according to plan, ask yourself: “What will I do differently next time to get the results I want?”
Suzie Doscher (PSC) is a Life Coach focusing on Personal Development. These articles are designed to give you support to master your steps towards behavioral, emotional and intellectual change. They offer tools to help you cope with all the stress associated with today’s lifestyle and work demands. May even just one line inspire you. Check out Suzie’s book full of SELF COACHING Exercises http://www.balancebysuziedoscher.com available on Amazon now. Please also visit: http://suziedoscher.com.