The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers for Your Teeth
Cosmetic dentistry is one of the leading ways that people can improve their looks (if they so wish) and feel more confident within themselves. Porcelain veneers are a huge part of this. It is only natural that teeth can become worn down over time, due mostly to the aging process. There is absolutely no need to feel insecure or unsure about the normal signs of wear that your teeth could develop: however, if it is something you feel strongly about, there is, of course, something you can do about it. Porcelain veneers are the answer to the natural damage age can cause to your teeth. This could include anything from chips, cracks, discoloration and staining. Veneers return your smile to a natural and healthy feel, all with a simple procedure.
But what are porcelain veneers exactly?
Porcelain veneers are paper thin shells made from material that could be substituted for natural teeth. Glued to the surface of your teeth, it is important that you weigh up the pros and cons and do your research before booking an appointment with your dentist as they are a permanent fixture.
What are the benefits?
There are numerous benefits to having porcelain veneers implanted onto your teeth:
- Quick whitening: Years of acidic food, fizzy drinks and other staining can cause your teeth to yellow quickly and permanently. If you do not keep on top of your dental hygiene early on, then it can be almost impossible to restore them back to their natural white state. Porcelain veneers can fix this common problem quickly and effectively. The stained enamel can be covered by the veneer shell – a shell that is largely stain proof. There is no need to worry about coffee stains with porcelain veneers.
- Fast procedure: Unlike fillings or manual bleaching, veneers do not take long at all to fit. In simply two visits, the veneers can be in place and ready to go.
- Durable: Like most body modifications, porcelain veneers do need to be taken care of well and constantly. However, if they are well taken care of, they are made to last for ten to thirty years. This means that you are guaranteed to get your money’s worth when you invest in porcelain veneers.
- Replace damaged enamel: Many dentists will tell you that once you damage your teeth’s enamel, it is damaged forever with no way to fix it. However, that is not entirely true. Enamel is extremely durable and hard to chip away, however, it is not invincible. When porcelain veneers are implanted into someone’s mouth, the shell will almost replace the damaged enamel and look almost seamless and natural while it does.
Are there disadvantages?
Unfortunately, there are always disadvantages to any kind of body modification and porcelain veneers are no exception. However, they are not severe or life-threatening in any way, shape or form:
- Permanent: As already stated, once you decide to have porcelain veneers implanted, they cannot be removed. This is because the dentist needs to change the natural state and order of your teeth. A layer of enamel needs to be removed to make room. Make sure it is something that you want before you make the appointment.
- High price: Unfortunately, cosmetic dentistry will always cost money. Porcelain veneers can be different prices in different countries and regions but according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the average price of a single veneer is $1,313. This an extra reason why you should really consider if veneers are something you want.
- Increased sensitivity: A small number of people have reported increased sensitivity within their teeth after the procedure after the first few days but this usually goes away.