5 Relationship Problems That Can Affect Your Health
Humans are meant to be with one another, experiencing life as a couple. However, this does not mean that relationships are not complicated and prone to rupture. Recognizing relationship problems is essential. Otherwise, you will end up suffering and all alone. More importantly, it is vital to address these problems, as in time they can have a negative impact on your overall health. Keep on reading and discover the most common relationship problems that can affect your well-being. Check out our suggestions for solving them and do not hesitate to put them into practice.
#1 Lack of communication
Perhaps this is the most common relationship problem in the world, affecting couples from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Communication is something that has changed tremendously in the past few years, with more and more devices replacing eye-to-eye contact. After all, how can you communicate with your partner, when you are spending all of your time checking out social media?
The lack of communication can easily damage a relationship, especially if one feels shut out or not heard. The more days pass without communicating, the deeper the relationship abyss will become. In many couples, the lack of communication stems from other problems; for example, one might present low libido and be afraid or ashamed of talking about it. However, if you want to make things work, you need to get everything out in the open.
Here a couple of strategies you can consider, to communicate more efficiently with your partner:
- Date night—once a week, go out for a regular date; spend your time talking and catching up, just like you used to do in your youth.
- Spend five minutes looking your partner straight in the eyes—this will bring the two of you together closer, faster than you might think.
- Pick out a topic for discussion and communicate several thoughts regarding it, without interrupting your partner (set up some rules first).
- Whenever you are feeling the urge to get into a fight, take a minute and breathe. Not giving in to your impulses can help you communicate your feelings more efficiently.
- Pick out an objective for the two of you to work on—for example, you can choose a more efficient distribution of household chores and brainstorm ideas for a successful achievement.
Remember, the most important thing is that you talk, without shouting, placing blame or throwing insults. And if your partner is concerned about male sexual disorders, support him in seeking out the best treatment solutions.
#2 Intimacy and love making
For couples who have only recently come together, lovemaking is not a problem. On the contrary, things can get quite easily heated and everything will seem like perfect bliss. However, as a couple spends more and more time together, lovemaking seems to take a turn for the worst. Intimacy is lost, partners begin to blame one another and sex becomes a touchy subject.
Don’t give up on your partner. Romance can be rekindled, including the time spent in the bedroom. You can resort to various strategies to restore intimacy and enjoy lovemaking once again; if you are suffering from low testosterone levels, you can seek out treatment solutions or consider taking certain supplements.
Here are a couple of strategies you can consider rekindling the flame of passion:
- Schedule some time for the two of you—leave everything aside and get in bed; before you know it, you will have quite the encounter and rekindle your passion.
- Try new things—one of the main reasons for which intimacy is lost has to do with couples going through the same routine; do not be afraid to try new things and have fun in the bedroom.
- Discuss with your partner—once again, open communication can be key; identify what your husband/wife wants in the bedroom and make sure to give it a whirl.
- Role play scenarios—engage in sexy scenarios and do not be afraid to play out your deepest fantasies, as this will arouse your partner as well.
- Sex toys—using such instruments can change how you and your partner feel about lovemaking; they represent the perfect choice to spice up an otherwise routine experience.
The lack of sex can have a negative effect on your health, especially concerning hormones. Make sure to give the strategies mentioned above a try, as regular lovemaking will help you stay healthy (physically and mentally).
When you are in a relationship, it is practically impossible not to get into a fight and become defensive. You might blame your partner for not being more involved, feeling angry and hurt at the same time. If you are fighting all the time, you might end up in a toxic routine—in turn, this will have a negative impact on your health.
Being in a constant state of tension can do a lot of damage to our physical and mental health. Many couples who argue experience psychosomatic symptoms, considering that they would be better off alone. However, one should not give up on their relationship, before trying to work out the conflict.
Here are several conflict-solving strategies you should consider:
- Do not make yourself the victim—talk to your partner about the things you are not pleased with and do not accept whatever comes your way; once again, open communication is key.
- Put yourself in the other person’s shoes—once you get things from your partner’s perspective, you will not be so inclined to enter that fight.
- Break up the routine—if you know the triggers of your fights, change the routine and engage in new activities, together as a couple.
- Apologize—an apology can be the most wonderful thing, especially when offered in intense moments of vulnerability. Do not be afraid to give it.
- Do not try to control your partner—the more you try to be in control, the bigger the fight is going to be. Let it go and you will soon rediscover peace.
Constant fights can affect your health, so you should consider using the strategies as mentioned above. These can help you deal with conflict efficiently, improving your relationship.
#4 Lack of trust
If you do not trust your partner, then your relationship is bound to suffer. Moreover, if you are constantly trying to figure out whether your partner is telling the truth or not, you will end up suffering yourself. A tensed relationship, characterized by the lack of trust, can hurt you, both physically and mentally.
The most important thing is that you determine whether your partner is untrustworthy or if you have unresolved trust issues. It is important, to be honest with yourself and accept that you might have flaws; we are always subjective about the level of trust, whether we want it or not.
These are the strategies you can use to increase the level of trust between you and your partner:
- Communicate your fears—do not go around spying on your partner, checking his/her phone and so on; instead communicate your fears and work on each of them.
- Watch out how you react—your partner can be quite hurt if you do not trust him/her; it is always important to adapt your reactions to each situation (do not overreact if it is not the case).
- Respect your partner’s boundaries—if you want to be in a healthy relationship, make sure to respect your partner and his/her boundaries; do not be jealous when there is no reason and avoid repetitive behaviors.
Keep in mind that your partner can have trust issues as well. It is important to pay attention to his/her feelings, working together to solve any problems in this area.
When one enters into a new relationship, everything seems to be perfect. The partner is seen in a different light, with his/her flaws being less obvious. However, with the passing of time, you might begin to see more of these flaws and re-think your decision about being in the said relationship.
Infidelity is one of the most often encountered problems in a relationship, being caused by a loss of romance, interest or even boredom. Partners cheat in order to escape the relationship they are currently in and end up suffering, including from a health perspective. Having to hide a second relationship can lead to stress, anxiety and even depression.
Strategies to deal with infidelity
Here are a couple of strategies to deal with such a situation:
- Admit your infidelity—you cannot work on a problem if you do not admit its existence; if your partner still loves you, he/she will be willing to make things work.
- Go to couples’ counseling—outside help might be just the thing you needed to work out your problems and see the issues leading to infidelity.
- Go back to the beginning—this can include date nights, outings in the park or anything that might make you feel in love all over again.
The longer you maintain a relationship with another person, the more difficult it will be to stay with your partner and not fight. You need to stop cheating before your health begins to suffer and decide whether you still want to be with your partner or not.
In conclusion, these are some of the relationship problems that can affect your health. Make sure to work on each of these in a responsible manner and not let them influence your general well-being. References:
https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/introduction–to–relationship–problems/ http://www.loveisrespect.org/healthy–relationships/ http://www.professional–counselling.com/common–relationship–problems.html http://www.webmd.com/sex–relationships/guide/7–relationship–problems–how–solve–them#4 http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20668163,00.html#stress–levels–0
About the Author
Ben Arnold is a freelance writer and a health and beauty adviser. He has been giving beauty and fitness advice to thousands of people all around the globe. Through his advanced studies, he has gain enormous experience in nutrition and healthy diet. His articles have a source on personal and practical experience. Apart from health, he likes reading books and listening music in free time. You can follow him on Facebook, Google +, Twitter, StumbleUpon and Pinterest