Pets – The Amazing Benefits of Animal Companionship
Lots of us already realize that animals add to our emotional and spiritual well-being. Since we live in times where just about everything can and is often researched, countless tests have confirmed that owning a pet is good for our physical health as well! Evidently, whilst we are taking care of our pets, our pets are taking care of us.
We live longer, age better, have reduced bouts of loneliness, and are generally healthier if we have pets. Studies abound showing that sharing our lives with animals has a positive influence on our stress levels, blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, moods, immunity, fitness, the span and quality of our lives, and can even reduce health care expenses.
Here are just a few of the amazing benefits you can expect from animal companionship:
- Pet owners were found to have lower levels of cardiovascular disease risk factors, such as blood pressure, triglycerides, and cholesterol levels.
- Having a feline companion has been shown to decrease your heart attack risk by nearly one third.
- In recent times, therapy dogs have been introduced into hospitals, mental health centers, and nursing homes where their positive effects on patients are well documented. Visits from these compassionate canines commonly lift the spirits of patients, calm their nerves, and alleviate their loneliness.
- Pets commonly serve to facilitate social interactions between people. Individuals who are mobility impaired speak of increased “freedom to be capable” after getting an assistance dog. Additionally, participants reported increased independence and self-esteem, decreased loneliness, and experienced regular sociability from strangers.
- Dogs and cats have been known to be able to detect cancer in people and will constantly lick and smell the affected area as a warning to their owners.
- Alzheimer’s patients who are still living at home with pets had fewer mood swings, confusion, episodes of aggression and anxiety than patients not exposed to pets.
- Pets can improve our social lives. I have met many interesting people while walking my dogs or volunteering at our local animal shelter.
- Unconditional Love; I love my family and they love me. My family is always happy to see me but it’s my dogs that show the most excitement, wagging their tails gleefully and celebrating my return every time I walk in the door from a hard day at work.
- Dogs can help you keep fit. Some mornings I find it hard to get motivated to go on my daily walk. Then I find those big pleading eyes of anticipation looking up at me and I simply can’t say no.
- Pets and Children: Psychological research and analysis of the relationship between children and animals has determined that the mere presence of animals can positively alter a child’s attitude about themselves and increases their ability to relate to others. Additionally, pets can assist children to develop positive skills in several areas including love, attachment, wellbeing and caring. Yet further studies suggest that children exposed to pets in early life experience improved immune function with reduced allergies, less wheezing and asthma.
- Quality of life can be improved dramatically in families of epileptic children when a dog that that is trained to respond to seizures is present in the home.
The ways that animal companions affect our well being are apparently never-ending. The afore-mentioned examples are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the amazing benefits and complexities of human-animal companionship.
There are so many heart-felt stories about the bond that exists between animals and humans but they are too numerous to mention here. Sharing your life with animals will provide you with spiritual health benefits that are beyond description. Animals have a way for touching our heart and soul. They ask for nothing and will go to the ends of the earth to protect you.
Thanks for reading my article. My name is Jessica Louise and I am passionate about animals of all types, large and small.
I invite you to visit my website. It’s all about Pet Health Care and comparisons, reviews and ratings of the best Pet Insurance Companies Pet Health Insurance Comparisons. View leading insurance companies and their insurance policies for Dogs, Cats, Birds, Horses, Reptiles, Exotic Animals and More!
While you’re there, Get your Free copy of our Dog Training Report
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jessica_Louise