The Most Common Musculoskeletal complaint is pain in the knee
The most common musculoskeletal complaint that leads people to the doctor is a pain in the knee. The typical knee problem arises in any bony structures compromising the femur, tibia and fibula, knee cap or the ligaments, tendons and cartilage of the knee. Knee pain can be the result of obesity or physical activity. It is affected by the surrounding muscles and their movements and can be triggered by other problems such as foot injury. It is concerned to people of any age and cured by home remedies until and unless the pain is not severe.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
The position of the knee pain can vary depending on which formation is required. With infection or an inflammatory method, the whole knee might be swollen and painful, while a cut meniscus or fracture of a bone gives signs only in one precise location. A baker cyst will usually cause pain in the backbone of the knee. The hardness of the joint pain can vary from minor aches to severe and disabling pain.
Some of the other signs and symptoms are:
- Difficulty in weight-bearing or walking due to instability of the knee.
- Limping due to discomfort.
- Due to ligament damage, difficulty in walking up and down steps.
- Unable to bend the knee.
- Inability to extend the knee.
- Redness and swelling of the knee.
- Shifting weight to the opposite knee and foot.
Causes of Knee Pain
Knee pain can be divided into three main categories:
Acute Injury like a meniscal tear, torn ligaments and broken bone.
- Fractures:-A direct blow to the bony structure can cause one of the bones in the knee to split. This is normally a definite and painful knee injury. Most knee breaks are sad and will also interfere with the proper functioning of the knee or make it very painful to bear weight. All fractures need immediate medical attention. Many fractures require significant force, and a thorough examination is performed to detect other injuries.
- Ligament injuries: The most common injury is the Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury. An ACL injury is often a sports-related injury due to a sudden stop and change in directions. The remaining ligaments (posterior cruciate ligament, lateral collateral ligament, and medial collateral ligament) are injured less frequently.
- Meniscus injuries: The medical and lateral are made up of cartilage and act as the shock absorbs between the knees. Twisting the knees can injure the meniscus.
- Dislocation: The knee joint can be dislocated, which is a medical emergency that requires immediate attention. Knee dislocation can compromise blood flow to the leg and have other related problems. This injury often occurs during a motor vehicle accident when the knee hits the dashboard.
Medical conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and infections.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis:- It is an autoimmune condition that can affect any joint in the body. It can also cause severe pain in the knee and disability, as well as swelling.
- Gout is a form of arthritis that can commonly be found in the big toe, although it can affect the knee. Gout tends to flare up and extremely painful during acute episodes., when there is no flare-up, your knees are pain-free.
- With septic arthritis, the knee joint can become infected: leads to pain in the knee, swelling and fever. This condition requires antibiotics and drainage treatment as soon as possible.
- Patellar tendinitis is an inflammation of the tendons connecting the kneecap patella to the lower leg bone. Patellar tendinitis is a chronic condition often found in individuals repeating the same motion during exercise such as runners and cyclists.
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome is caused by degeneration or stress under the kneecap, where it meets the thigh bone. Patellofemoral pain syndrome occurs in runners and cyclists.
- Osteoarthritis: a wearing down of cartilage of the joint due to use and age
- Prepatellar bursitis is an inflammation of the fluid-filled sac in front of the kneecap that may cause anterior knee pain.
What is the treatment for Knee pain?
Remedies for knee pain are different and depend on the conditions that can cause the pain.
You might be prescribed medications to treat an underlying medical situation or for pain relief.
If you are regularly taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain medications for your knee pain, you should see your doctor be evaluated.
Seldom physical therapy sessions to reinforce the muscles around the knee will make it more durable and help ensure the best mechanical progressions. Working with a physical therapist can help evade injuries or further worsening of an injury.
Injecting medications directly into your knee might help in certain situations. The two most common injections are corticosteroids and lubricants. Corticosteroid injections can help arthritis and other inflammations of the knee. They usually need to be repeated every few months. Fats that are similar to the fluid already in your knee joint can help with movement and pain.
pain has a host of causes. Many types of pain are difficult to prevent, but you can do some general things to reduce the likelihood of sustaining a knee injury. Maintaining your body weight, doing regular exercise and stretching, and strengthening can prevent knee pain. Whenever you are doing any activity, for example, sports- you need to wear protection to avoid any knee injury. If taken proper care and precaution you can avoid any major knee injury.
About the Author